Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Fingers crossed tightly!

The Boy had a trip to the endocrinologist yesterday. Being diabetic, he gets stuck for blood every few months to see how well he’s controlling his glucose levels1. His A1C is a little higher this time, not horribly so given what he did between tests. The nurse-practitioner2 was going through his records, and said he was Type II diabetic. We said no, he’s Type I.

This prompted the NP to look a little more closely. “Oh,” she said finally. “The doctor did decide he’s Type I. But some of these tests say one thing, and the others say something else.” So we got to talking about his Summer of Discontent, during which he admitted he took very little insulin (but said he didn’t eat much either). “In that case,” she said, “you could be Type II. The C-Peptide [I think that’s what she called it —FF] test went that way, and you’re still taking a relatively low amount of insulin. You could still be in the honeymoon period, but we can run the test again and maybe you could replace the Novolog with pills.”

Needless to say, we’re overjoyed. I’m really trying not to get my hopes up, but this would definitely be a plus for The Boy — instead of four needles a day, he would only have to use one (for his Lantus overnight) unless his glucose started getting high. He didn’t show much emotion, but maybe he’s trying to manage his expectations as well. He did agree to use his meter more often (that’s one of the things we’ve been nagging him about) so he & the medics can get a better picture of what’s going on.

If you’re the praying type, please pray for him. This could be a huge boost.



1Be careful what you ask for... if you want more control over your life, you could end up doing what your pancreas does for you. :-P

2NPs, it seems, get all the responsibility of a doctor in general, just without the recognition or prestige.

7 comments:

  1. Back in your earlier post where I said there was a natural cure. I commented later revealing it. The facts are that he has a 64% chance of cure if Type I and 99% if Type II. Many ingredients, go back to that post, I have em all listed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to follow-up on that, thanks for reminding me. Are there any amounts or proportions to worry about, or do I just mix them together and hand it to him?

    There are Chinese/Oriental supply stores around, I’ll start gathering items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as amounts are concerned, it don't really matter... I think. Well, you don't need to worry about it killing him or ODing because it is all natural. Just try it, I will look for more. Ancient Asian cure, am not sure of exact measure, will attempt to find. Most likely the first ingredients are the main, but try that or just round it up. I will follow up with any new info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say it, but I have been praying for your son, and I pray for the cure I sent you to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a url that might interest you:

    http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/cmu/diabetes_1.htm

    It is about using cannabis as part of a diabetes treatment regimen. A medical research report. Not some hippie anecdotal evidence.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...