Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Taking My Medicine

WARNING: Too Much Input follows.

Mrs. Fetched confiscated the DSL modem yesterday, because The Boy refused to get out of bed and help with the chickens. Not that it mattered: I was awakened a bit too early (after staying up too late) with a bout of what I call LGS (Le Grande Shittes). I had a scheduled checkup at the doc’s yesterday morning anyway, so i figured I’d get that seen to as well, especially when I felt slightly nauseated on the way over.

This checkup was a little more intense than usual: in addition to getting poked for blood (which I hardly felt, they’re good about that), I was also handed a cup. The nurse asked me the usual battery of questions that usually have the same answers, except for the symptoms of the morning. Then when the doc came in, she asked about those and said I probably had a stomach virus that was going around, it would be gone in a day or so, eat bland food and drink plenty of fluids.

Then she pulled on The Gloves. “I don’t enjoy this either,” she reassured me.

“Just like being at work!” I said. Well, maybe the annual review part. She then boldly went where no woman has gone before.

“All the time, people show me things they don’t want to show me and I don’t really want to look at,” she said. I suppose that’s one of the things they don’t tell you about when you start med school. Lord knows it’s the same for technical writers, and probably any other profession: you end up mucking around in things you never really thought about in school.

“No blood in your stool, and your prostate feels normal,” she said. I suppose my dignity was a small price to pay for that good news. “But there was some blood in your urine sample. You need to give us another sample in two weeks, then if it’s still there, I’ll refer you to a urologist.”

The thing she didn’t tell me was to go back home and ride out the stomach virus in bed. Naturally, I felt pretty rough by the time I was ready to go home (probably running a fever) and went straight to bed when I got home. I slept until 10, when the fever finally broke, then read my Asimov’s for an hour or so before turning the light off. The bed was hot; I thought Mrs. Fetched had put a heating pad under the sheet but it was just me baking the virus (and the mattress).

I still have a little LGS, but that’s not completely bad. I haven’t truly been what the old folks call “regular” since I started taking the RIpitmore, and I needed a good purge. I wouldn’t recommend it as a way to lose a pound, but I did that too.

6 comments:

  1. Hi FARfetched.

    Sorry to hear you're feeling bad and even sorrier to hear about the one finger end run. But I am glad you went to your doctor for that check up.

    Hope you get to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Boy not wanting to get out of bed? How surprising!! :) I'd get one of those boat air horns and tape it open and leave it in his room. He does know that he's not on vacation right?

    Blood in the urine is not uncommon when you're sick, you'll probably get some antibiotics. Are you keeping your underwear clean? LOL

    Solar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys.

    Things are getting better, but I'm not quite 100% just yet. No more LGS, but some rumblings that suggest things aren't entirely over.

    Solar, I thought there might be a connection. We'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.

    The Boy amazed the heck out of me and got out of bed before I did, while Mrs. Fetched slept until 9:30! At one point, I suggested he go in the bedroom and tell her to get up so they could do the chickens, just to mess with her mind. He thought it was a funny idea, but didn't quite have the nerve to do it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy moly, FM, I just looked at the time stamp. What were you doing up at 5 a.m.??? Hope it wasn't a migraine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No migraine FAR. I just woke up at 2:00 am and couldn't go back to sleep. Getting older sucks sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good that it wasn't a migraine. I got woke up early that morning, but it was an issue.

    And today I've had the worst gas... for being a one-day thing, this virus sure is clinging on.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...