Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Wonderful News!

I can hardly believe I’m typing this, but I sent the fax and got the confirmation call yesterday afternoon. Then I took Mrs. Fetched out to celebrate. I couldn’t sleep, and I’m nearly sober again, dangit.

Last week, I got an email from an agent about FAR Future… she said she’d made a couple inquiries and had a publisher interested. I’m thinking “yeah right,” but when I started poking around on the net, I found the agency without too much trouble. I called the front desk, identified myself, and asked Ms. Lirpa to return my call just so I knew it was (or wasn’t a joke).

It wasn’t.

She called me back about an hour later, and confirmed she’d sent the email. I happened to be working at home Wednesday, so I called the lawyer that helped The Boy a while back and arranged to have him look the thing over. She emailed, I printed and faxed. He said, "looks OK, I'd make this change, $200 please," and Ms. Lirpa said they’d get back to me about it.

So yesterday, they faxed an amended contract, I signed it and faxed it back, they called to confirm receipt and said congrats. I grabbed Mrs. Fetched, she said something like “Loof!” (which I think was supposed to be “love you!” before I grabbed her) and we went out for dinner and drinks. And came home really late for some more drinks. I guess I’ll have to call in sick in a few hours, maybe I’ll get some sleep some time today.

Now the other shoe drops…

Part of the deal is, I have to stop serializing FAR Future. Can’t give away the store no more. Suckage, but that’s the price I pay. The book should be out by January, though.

15 comments:

  1. Really AWESOME FAR!!!! It sucks though that we have to wait that long to get the rest! But...AWESOME!!!! Oh, did I say this was really great news for you?!?!?! AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeez, is it April Fool's Day? Shows how much I pay attention to the calender. I hope it's true though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. April Fools, or is this for real? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Far, if this isn't 4/1 stuff .. congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh! heh! Hope it's true! (you deserve it!) ha!

    Gee, just got back, check this out..

    http://studyingdecay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allright, you got me. BTW, the Louvre called and asked to buy my latest painting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya FAR.

    I don't know whether to say congrats or April Fools. I see you have it labeled as Fiction, so I don't know at the moment. :)

    I haven't been over here in awhile, so I hope you and the family are doing good.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey FAR,
    I too am amongst the skeptics who suspect this is a prank ... but if it's not, woo-hoo! If it is, you really had me going anyway! heh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, unfortunately it was a joke.

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, just so you know, it would be really great if you could get that story published.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Mrs. M. I'm seriously considering rewriting it to a more novelish format & trying to pitch it.

    Yooper, I checked out some of that site — is that one of the people you were with on the "tour" ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn FAR! I was so hoping it was real ... :) Well, it's a good sign that a lot of us thought it could be b/c your work is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Olivia. We can always hope.

    There's lots of talent out there… luck and a little creative marketing can make the difference, and I'm at least giving the latter a try. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...