Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Pretty weeds

Wild violetsOne certain sign of spring at FAR Manor is that the weeds start waking up and (in some cases) offering bribes. One of the prettier weeds, the wild violets, are nearly impossible to eradicate. I even poured old kerosene on them over the winter, and they only died off temporarily. The lawn mower passes over them and leaves them pretty much unscathed.


Wild violet, up closeThis is what they look like up close and personal.


A weed of a different colorA few of them, for whatever reason, are more white than violet. I have no clue.


Cheerful weedsHere are some cheerful yellow flower-weeds popping up amongst the violets (and the grass).


Yellow flower-weed, up closeCutting one yellow flower-weed out of the herd.


Mrs. Fetched buys a lot of flowers and plants them in various places. She doesn’t really have to bother, but she likes bigger blossoms and putting them where she wants them. These don’t get out of the grass and are nickel- and dime-size. What do you want for free?

4 comments:

  1. Hi FARfetched.

    Nice looking weeds. I figure if something is in the lawn where the lawnmower can go then it's fair game. Actually my s-i-l has planted so many flowers and bulbs around the house that I can't even weed eat around them. It presents a problem where either she'll weed the flower garden or it's weed eater time.

    Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. < gasp >

    kerosene!

    LOL

    Violets are lovely flowers. I'd take a whole lawn of them ... and then no mowing would be allowed ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys!

    FM, your sister-in-law needs to establish borders for the flower beds unless she wants to do all the weeding done. ;-)

    Olivia, the kerosene was at most a temporary setback. I won't bother trying again; I'll just drill holes in some stumps and pour it in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Everyone!

    FamilyMan -- I love your beautiful weeds.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...