Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Tuesday, November 05, 2019

Snack break

Recently, those “Balanced Breaks” snacks have captured some attention. It’s a great premise—a snack that concentrates on protein with dried fruit (mostly raisins or cranberries) for carbs. Nice idea, except for all the plastic waste. The “lid” (also plastic) peels off, and there’s no tops that would make the containers reusable. A few probably find their way into basement or garage workshops, as handy trays for holding screws, but the vast majority are destined for the landfill. I suppose if they did make the containers easy to reuse, a lot of people would refill them and not buy more.

So I was in the supermarket recently, saw a display case of Balanced Breaks, and thought, “you know, if they carry small containers with 3 or 4 compartments, I could just make my own and not have to throw away more stuff.”

I wandered over to the container aisle—and though I didn’t find anything small with three or four compartments, I found 2-compartment “meal prep” containers. Close enough!

There was a block of medium cheddar in the fridge that has been waiting for a purpose; I cut it up and diced some leftover ham. Nuts and raisins were in the pantry. Here’s the result.

Looks good enough to eat!


I showed them to the wife and Mason; both liked the idea. “Can I have this one?” Mason asked. No problem, but he stashed it in the fridge. I made another, and that used up the rest of the ham. Since then, I've made some with thick slices of ham from the deli, and even some not-crab (the fake crab meat they make from pollock); one of Sizzle’s kids suggested shrimp. Wife complained that I was using “her” cashews, so I got some almonds (light salt and habenero BBQ) and peanuts. The fruit is either raisins or craisins (dried cranberries)—I should mix them for grins.

I’m calling this one a win.

4 comments:

  1. It's a total win! Saves you money and makes you and Mason happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure they come out any cheaper, but the portions are larger and I can customize them to taste (the store-bought ones don't offer fake-crab as an option, for example). Add (or rather, subtract) plastic containers not going into the landfill, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

    Amazon's deal of the day today was 25 oz bags of almonds for 8 bucks and change, so I'm set for almonds. I don't think I can get a 16oz bag for 8 bucks at the supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On an unrelated topic, when will there be another Accidental Sorcerers book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Unknown, welcome to the free-range insane asylum! I'm working on Book 9, and it's taking a lot longer than I wanted. It's kind of like The Blood of Heroes in that regard, although I'm pretty sure I won't have to start over like I did with that one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...