Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Lookin' back (and forward)

They're lookin' back (they're lookin' back)
They're lookin' back (they're lookin' back)
Too many people lookin' back!

—Bob Segar

While there have likely been worse years in human history (year 536, and more recently 1918, would both nominate themselves), 2020 is as sucky a year as we’ve had in living memory. I don’t agree with those who say 1968 was worse, because people were getting out and making a real difference. And… they didn’t have a pandemic.

And yet, that which hits the fan is not evenly distributed. Not everything that happened in 2020 was terrible, even at FAR Manor. For example, Charlie’s adoption went through in February. In the last month or so, he started talking more (although his diction is mushy, and he especially has issues with hard consonants). He calls us “momom” and “dada.” For yours truly, I’ve been quite content to not have a commute. I took a quick trip down to the office last month, for the first time since spring, and I was there less than an hour. We saved a ton of money, not eating out four or five times a week, through late summer. We have (so far!) managed to dodge the you-know-what, and vaccinations are on the way. And, of course, we voted out #Dolt45 (thank God).

A raccoon mounts a feral hog, preparing to do battle with the possums.
Hiyo Puumba, away!

OK, things weren’t all wonderful at FAR Manor (are they ever?). When I had the knee replacement a few years ago, I cruised along on Norco for a while. I thought everything was fine—I got work done (and done well), launched a novel, and functioned. But when I got off that stuff, I realized just how out of it I had been. Wife said everyone else could tell, though (thanks, honey).

There have been stretches like that this year, without the benefit of prescription painkillers. In retrospect, I can look back and see where I was definitely not OK (even when I thought I was). I think it became obvious in October, when I was running errands one Saturday, and both Mason and I forgot our masks when we went into the auto parts store. Fortunately, there was maybe one other person there, and we escaped without the virus catching us. The profound lack of writing progress, most of the year, should have been another big red flag.

Since that incident, I’ve been a lot more observant about where my mask is. Maybe the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was almost right—instead of a towel, you should always have your mask. Even after the vaccine does its thing, there’s flu, colds, and who knows what else. Masking in public should probably be the default, especially during the bottom half of every year from now on.

So, I achieved my two biggest goals for 2020:

  1. Survive (an Ouiji board told me at Mason’s age that I would live to 61, and I’m 62 now!).
  2. Don’t catch the you-know-what.

With two days left of 2020, I’m feeling pretty confident. But what about 2021?

We can all hope that next year is when we transition out of the dystopian timeline. It’s not going to happen right away, and there’s a lot of work to be done to push the lunatic fringe back to the fringes, but we’ll at least have a baseline sanity to work from. Regardless, we have to live in whatever timeline we have, and even get stuff done. But I’ve said before, don’t do resolutions. Do goals. So here are my goals for the brave new year:

  • Complete the AS9 (Mage War) first draft by Feb 28
  • Publish AS9 by June 30
  • Have the family vaccinated by August (I can’t control that, but I think it’s possible)
  • Get my weight below 200lbs (again) by June 30
  • Write a #RightToRepair blog post each month, for the first three months
  • Put up screens or pickets on the deck before the end of February

If you read the linked post on my writing blog, you know that I’m all about keeping goals short-term. We can’t control what-all happens through the year, so let’s focus on what we can do in the near term. We can always revisit and plan some more, come mid-year (or quarterly, or whenever convenient).

But beyond goals, there are aspirations. These are things that I’d like to see happen, and maybe I have some control over them:

  • Reposition myself to focus on blogs more than social media (a/k/a “immediate Web” and I’ve started this week)
  • Take some camping trips with the Starflyer
  • Set up a sliding platform in the Starflyer, so I can swap out the fridge with a cooler, depending on whether we have electric hookups
  • Help Charlie learn to read/write
  • Get Mason interested in creating stuff (beyond just consuming)
  • Finish several short stories that have been kicking around for who-knows-how-long
  • Get at least one book (besides AS9) ready to publish by the end of the year
  • Draft one or two of my camper ideas
  • Start on Mason's tree house

In any case, stuff I achieve will become blog-fodder.

So remember: at the stroke of midnight, in the first moments of 2021, everyone yell, “JUMANJI!” We might be able to shift the timeline after all. You never know.

2 comments:

  1. Masks have become daily essentials! I like your idea of having aspirations as well as goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all!

    Patricia, I generally keep masks for Charlie and me in my car. Forgetting it happens mostly if I'm in the wife's van (and then it becomes an excuse to stay in the car, LOL). I recently added some paper masks to the center console storage, in case the cloth ones are getting washed.

    Crafty, it's a *daily* essential for me… I live in a rural area, and only get out a few times a week. Still, that's a lot more than April, when we mostly hunkered down and cleared some space in our freezer. The schools were dropping lunches off, and they often dropped extra on us because we were at the end of the line. So we rarely had to go anywhere. The aspirations can be thought of as proto-goals, things I might formalize later. I've made a pretty good start with focusing on blogs, though!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...