Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Sunday, January 03, 2021

Steak and RSS


Steak is better than sizzle.
It’s winter, it was 39°F out late this afternoon, but it was partly sunny with a little breeze. What else to do but put on a sweater and throw a top round/London Broil on the grill?

This was one of my better steak efforts, probably helped by tenderizing and marinating with wine vinegar (among other ingredients) for several hours beforehand. Wife thinks we can thin-slice the leftovers and pan-fry it, to warm it up without making it tough.

We shall see. Tomorrow, Daughter Dearest heads back to school, and I’ll say farewell to staycation and head back upstairs to the homemade worker’s paradise. But I’m making turkey chili for everyone.


As odd as it may seem to grill steak in January, one of my aspirations for 2021 (as listed in the previous post) is to re-focus on blogging. And not just shouting into the void (that’s what it feels like on Twitter quite often), but reading other blogs. There were a couple things some years back that we once had, but have no longer:

  • First, Safari (my browser of choice) used to have an RSS reader built-in. It was really easy to put my blog-buddies in a bookmarks folder, and put that folder on the Bookmarks bar. The folder would show the number of unread posts. I’m sure Apple had reasons to move the RSS reader to Mail (still scratching my head about that, though).
  • Second, Google discontinued Google Reader, that many people used to keep up. Fortunately, many of us using Blogger had our links listed in our profile.

So, I opened the Blogs folder in Safari (the links to the blogs still work, even if the RSS doesn’t) to see how many were left. Then, I checked my profile list. Altogether, I found about a dozen blogs that still existed, and had been updated fairly recently.

Next step: find an RSS reader. I ended up downloading Vienna, an open-source reader for MacOS. I also splurged $0.99 for a Safari add-on that shows what RSS feeds are available on a site and supports copying selections to Vienna.

So now I have my blog feed back, and so far it’s working pretty well. And with that, maybe I’ll be better about dropping new posts more frequently.

2 comments:

  1. I love how simpatico our two worlds have become.

    There's this great meme about Mainers and grilling. It shows someone out in the yard grilling - after having dug an access path through the four feet of snow to the grill. Ayuh - sounds about right. Been there. Done that ;). So, yeah - that home-grilled London Broil in January happens up here, too.

    And I am super excited about reconnecting with my old Blogger buds. I loved blogging, and one of the best parts was that interaction with other bloggers - like you. I'm so happy we're all finding the same page in the same book in this new year ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, four feet of snow here would mean Fimbulwinter! :D Best we got (since I’ve been here) was 18 inches, during the Blizzard of ’93. Here’s the mental image to keep on that one: trees and power poles down everywhere, and not a snowplow in sight.

    I am seriously glad you swung by that day. It validated my thought about trying to refocus on blogging. We might have collectively shrugged off Peak Oil, but it’s all the things we’ve done as individuals to make it a possibility. Not to mention a lot of us not needing a commute last year…

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...