Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Charlie Five, and a brief uh-oh…

Charlie wearing a paper crown, made in church last week
King for a day
Charlie turned 5 late last week, but of course we waited until Saturday to celebrate. After all, his bio-brother Skylar has his birthday pretty close to Charlie’s, and Sizzle has one as well. So the party was extended, but Charlie wore the crown! (After all, he made it in church the week before, as part of the Epiphany lesson.)

There was cake for everyone, and presents for the birthday folks. Sizzle brought some chow, and the wife made some stuff, and we all ate, drank, and were merry.

But… (cue the “dun-dun-dunnnn” music here)

Sunday morning, Sizzle sent the preacher and me a text: Daughter Dearest is running a fever we will be staying home today and keep everyone updated no other symptoms. Well, if DD got the ro, then we had been exposed as well—especially me, because I hugged her twice and she took a nap on my side of the bed.

They all went and got tested in the afternoon, and we changed clothes, took showers, and planned to hunker down. During the early days of the pandemic, I bought two huge canisters of powdered Gatorade, and sent them the unopened one. I caught a pretty good case of the flu back around 2000 or 2001, and staying hydrated let me bounce back pretty quick once the fever got tired of hanging around. The non-nutty sister in law was in the hospital with her own case of the ro, which likely happened (the hospital part) because she got dehydrated, and I wanted to make sure DD had every possible advantage. I made plans to do our grocery run as curbside pickup this week.

[Aside: Big V probably would have been a casualty, had she not checked out a couple years ago. She never took care of herself, and I suspect she would have been a ratlicker. The Boy could have gone either way, and probably would have. Mason definitely has mask fatigue, but he’ll wear it if we remember to bring it.]

Today brought a little better news. DD called me this evening and said her test was negative (woohoo!), and the sister-in-law came home from the hospital. Sister in law is debilitated, as is usually the case. I’ve heard that each day in the hospital adds a month to full recovery time. She was fairly healthy to begin with, so maybe she’ll bounce back by summer.

Meanwhile, since we’re still saying no to the ro at FAR Manor, I made a minor grocery run this evening. But given how the B117 strain (aka the “UK virus”1) is proliferating, I’ve once again broken out the Clorox wipes to clean off everything that comes into the house.


1If the wingnuts want to call the original the “China virus,” then it should be acceptable to call this latest strain the “UK virus.” And we should also call H1N1 the “American virus,” since it originated in Kansas.

3 comments:

  1. Here's hoping you all stay healthy!

    My daughter and her family had it in November into December - just in time for the holidays. What fun! Thankfully, she found out and tested BEFORE she visited. We've been super lucky here at Chez Brown and have, somehow, managed to avoid it - *knock wood* - even though Deus Ex Machina is an "essential worker" and has continued to go to work, and my two adult daughters who are still living at home both have jobs. The good news is that there's not much to do, and so they've been saving money like crazy ... although there sure are a lot of package deliveries - and most of it's not addressed to me ... hmmm??? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear! Basic precautions seem to help a lot. People who take it seriously, and still get it, generally had a “it caught me slipping” moment. We’ve also saved a lot of money, mostly because we rarely ate out (i.e. got curbside or pickup) for half the year. And yup, lots of packages arrive at the manor as well. Wife had a bunch of trees knocked out in front of the house, to make a “loop” driveway, over the summer. It made life a lot easier on the people driving the larger delivery vans, and gave us a place to put the farm vehicles. In some ways, it’s an equipment yard as much as a driveway loop. I should probably blog about that (and the back yard expansion)… and order another disc golf goal, now that I have room for a third. :D

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Patricia! Charlie is always happy to hear from… anyone!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...