Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

“Chigger Weed”

That’s what Mrs. Fetched calls them, anyway. It’s growing wild in front of an azalea along the driveway. Each flower is about the size of a dime.

I noticed them this morning while weed-eating, and decided to get a picture instead of mowing them down — sometimes, I’ll take the bribe of flowers or berries that a weed offers. But I wailed on a lot of briars, grass sprouting here & there, and small pine trees (and I’ve pulled up hundreds of the little suckers). I also ran enough sticks through the chipper to supply our mulch needs for the forseeable future, and used the Mantis that we bought at a yard sale last week to uproot all the weeds in between the sunflower rows.

If you’ve never seen a Mantis, they’re a cool little gadget — basically, a mini-tiller powered by a two-smoke chain saw engine. I got the hang of it pretty quickly, and the way it bounces when it hits a rock is quite amusing. I got two feet of air once last night, chewing up the grass in a flower bed. It really does great when the dirt is soft, digs in and starts throwing rocks at you out the back. When it gets too much vegetation wrapped around the tines, I hang it in a tree and pull out the strings.

Here in the late afternoon, it’s too hot to work outside. I finally broke down and stuck the window air conditioner in the outbuilding.

2 comments:

  1. How's it going FARfetched? I got the lawn mowed, but the weed eating is waiting until tomorrow.

    Today I'm helping a relative hook up a new printer. His computer is so slow on loading up the program, I came back to the house for a little while. Sometimes it doesn't pay to have just a little bit of knowledge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The printer drivers are taking a long time to load?
    Sometimes I wish I knew more about fixing Dozeboxes, there's a pretty steady living to be made doing that. But when I think about it, I remember I prefer not to touch the things in the first place. :-)

    After a nap, it's going well enough this afternoon. I can't think of anything that needs to be done, although I suppose Mrs. Fetched will remedy that before too long.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...