Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Eating Local

What with the media hype about E.coli and salmonella in produce these days, the idea of a 100-mile diet seems like a smart idea. But yesterday, we managed to go a couple orders of magnitude better than that.

After a quick Saturday morning fence repair, Mrs. Fetched’s mom handed me a plastic bowl. “Can you grill this catfish?” she asked. “[someone] caught it out of the pond down below the house. I don’t want to heat up the kitchen but it needs cookin’.”

I thought for a moment. “I can give it a try,” I said. “I'll wrap it in foil with some onion and peppers.” She handed me a big bell pepper from the garden, and I took them home and added some basil and oregano from the front yard. If I had to do it over again, I would have used more foil and sealed it properly, but I had two pairs of tongs and didn’t lose anything. The body cavities were a little smaller than I expected, so I ended up putting stuff around the fish more than in it.

Side dishes were fresh corn and fried squash, both from the garden. In fact, the onion was the only ingredient that didn’t come from the farm. Next year, we might get the onions from the garden too.

2 comments:

  1. Hey FAR,
    We're doing onions for the first time this year, and so far they're doing quite well, along with the corn, though neither (nor tomatoes!) are ready any time soon. Everything's behind this year, given the wacky spring we had.

    Oh, and more on Grandpa ... check out this youtube, and you'll understand the verbatim, as well as the context ...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5Eqycf4d4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey IVG. I think we get a pretty significant head start on you guys down here for the growing season, so maybe you're not that far behind your normal schedule. Yup, the tomatoes are coming in now… Romas are on the way, and those are the ones I like to put on the dehydrator.

    LOL at the Grandpa video!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...