Looking for writing-related posts? Check out my new writing blog, www.larrykollar.com!

Friday, July 20, 2007

Escape 2007, Episode 7: Random vacation photos

Wednesday through Friday sort of all ran together. We took turns watching the kids, fended off an obnoxious 5-year-old girl who wanted to walk into a strange man’s house unannounced, had some fun on (and in) the water.

OB has a pair of kayaks, and left them at the lake house when he had to go back to work for the rest of the week. This shot is from earlier in the week; I’m on the orange one. This particular kayak feels very wobbly when you’re not moving, but has the advantage of being self-buoyant and light.

Not shown is the sailboat. I got a little video of him taking an evening sail, but I have yet to upload that.


Time for a fun quiz: what does this road sign mean? (I’m sure Olivia knows.) This part of Michigan has quite a few of them.


Daughter Dearest and I took the kayaks out one morning. She chose the wobbly one, even though I warned her it was wobbly at rest, and she managed to not capsize. Many sections of the lake have impressive stands of water lilies, but the flowers were closed up at that time of day. I stuck my camera in a plastic bag, grabbed the green (less tippy) kayak, and got a few shots later in the afternoon. Click this picture to get closer to that yellow lily near the bottom of the picture. This was as close as I could get without tangling the paddle in the lily stalks… but those inner bits look like nothing else from what I could see.


By Thursday, that “the end is coming” sign was becoming visible. We spent a couple of great evenings dining with relatives, running up Dad’s Kalamazoo Brewery (Bell’s) stock, and catching up on things. I was stunned to learn that one of my younger cousins is already a grandmother. Yeesh. It also seems that I don’t have enough cousins by birth (only 20 or so), and so my uncles adopt a new one on occasion. Daughter Dearest hooked up with one of them, but that can wait for the next episode.

6 comments:

  1. Good pictures FAR. Of course the second one is a snowmobile crossing. Hah! didn't think I would know that one did ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! You're right, I wasn't sure who would get that one first — that's not something you see around our parts, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was worth enlarging that photo, far, to see the yellow. Very pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy. I thought it was a really pretty flower. I just wish I could have gotten closer without tearing up a bunch of plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shot FAR! I can just imagine you having to go through minor contortions to get that from the kayak. You're braver man than I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, IVG. I just drifted up to the edge of the lily pads, got the shot(s), and back-paddled. I took the green kayak, because it's more stable at rest & has a place to put a baggie with a camera in it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, and they don't have to be complimentary. I delete spam on sight, but that's pretty much it for moderation. Long off-topic rants or unconstructive flamage are also candidates for deletion but I haven’t seen any of that so far.

I have comment moderation on for posts over a week old, but that’s so I’ll see them.

Include your Twitter handle if you want a shout-out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...